[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: DOS and Macro Virus Discussion

Chris Garrigues wrote:

> It is (or should be) part of the job of sysadmins to make certain that
> managers understand the implications of ignoring the security issues.  There's
> a local startup who I did some contracting with *after* his site was broken
> into by a disgruntled former employee (former sysadmin, actually) and all the
> disks reformatted.  Needless to say, he's be at least $100,000 richer today if
> he'd been concerned about security somewhat sooner.

No backups?  That's pretty ridiculous.  Sounds like he had worse
problems than security, like maybe the need for a good sysadmin.

Of course it is job of sysadmins to make certain that managers
understand the implications of ignoring the security issues.  I didn't
say it wasn't.

> > (Opinions expressed are solely my own and are in no way to be connected
> > to my employer.)
>
> Well...if your employer doesn't agree with you on your interpretation of what
> management wants, then why are you making these claims?

I am not the company spokesman.  I do not speak for my company.
Sometimes we agree.  Other times we don't.  I want that to be clear.  It
didn't seem confusing when I wrote it.